Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

Revert the Tech section

When the tech section was suggested it had so many great ideas, such as weekly coding challenges however, as I predicted, people have adopted it as a tech support section, which belongs in the SnQ section. Can we revert the tech section back to the mapping section, we can still talk about coding, mapping and graphics there but we need to get rid of the tech support questions, they really don't belong there - heck they don't belong on our forums because all the issues I've seen posted so far would have been resolved faster if the user had googled their issue.

Added to the fact that GPU discussion threads still appear in the general section. There really should be a separate section for tech AND mapping. Combining the two was a mistake and leads to mapping discussion to be drowned out and forgotten about. It is such a niche thing that it would benefit from having its own title to prevent this.

I did mention this at the time the new tech section was made, but Mintlou is always wrong about everything and people should go out of their way just to do the opposite of what he suggests. :rolleyes:

Bump

We need to separate these still, stop moving crappy "I need help with my PC" threads into the tech section or at least provide a section for this stuff because the tech section is for "Mapping/Graphics/Coding related topics"

Skeff, pls. Tech talk is a fucking dead section. I dont see you posting loads of mapping stuff in there either, its not like its going to get lost. You can literally see almost 3 months of threads on the one page. It makes sense to combine 2 would be small sections into one. 

Hey Skeff,

Maybe if we had threads which involved "Mapping/Coding/Graphics" regularly (not just a few that we had at the start), then what you are saying would have made sense, however, there isn't any stuff TO drown out with "help I cant use google" threads. If let's say the Mapping threads and content are actually posted there and goes well for a while, then we will look into having a Mapping SUB-section under Tech.

Hope that resolves your problem.

To be honest if that's your concern I think removing the section all together would be a better idea, most genuine tech threads aren't being created and could easily fit into another sub forum and the IT support threads will get worse if you let it. I know they can be useful but eventually everyone gets very bored of them because they're so similar.